By registering, you’re letting HMRC know that you intend to submit your next VAT return in a MTD-compliant way. Make sure you have the following details to hand as you'll be asked to provide these during sign up:
- Your Government Gateway user ID and password
- Your business's VAT registration number and latest VAT return
To sign up:
- Visit the HMRC website.
- Select Sign up now for Making Tax Digital for VAT and follow the on-screen prompts.
- When prompted, enter your Government Gateway credentials, then Sign in. If your business is not yet eligible to sign up for MTD, a message will appear to advise this.
- Follow the on-screen prompts, providing any requested information.
- When you receive a verification email, select the link in the email to verify your email address. This can take up to 72 hours to be delivered to you, so please allow yourself enough time for this to happen when you are signing up.
- Read and accept the terms of participation.
HMRC will then confirm if you can start submitting VAT returns under MTD.
Prepare your ROS VAT submission
- Sign up for ROS.
- You should allow at least five working days to complete the registration process.
- Make sure your last direct debit has come out of your bank account before you sign up.
- You must wait for confirmation from Revenue after you sign up to ROS. Do not attempt to authorise QuickBooks Online or submit a VAT return without the confirmation from Revenue.
- it takes three working days for updates to take effect.
- If you haven't received an email from ROS, a password will be issued to you by post following successful registration.
- Learn more after signing up here on the Revenue website.
Complete your ROS VAT submission
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Online company.
- Confirm that the VAT number is correct and valid. Do not use any letters, spaces, or special characters.
- Confirm that the start of the current VAT return is correct.
- Confirm that you have the right filing frequency. It should be monthly, quarterly, or annual.