Learn how to transfer or change who manages your books in QuickBooks Online.
With QuickBooks Online, you can add different types of users, but there’s always just one master admin who can manage all other users. If someone new needs to manage your company in QuickBooks, here’s how to transfer the master admin role to them.
Note: Do you just want to update the email address for the current master admin account? You can change the email address without having to transfer the master admin role to a different user.
|If you’re using QuickBooks Online Simple Start, contact us to transfer the master admin.|
Step 1: Sign in as the master admin
Sign in to QuickBooks Online as the current master admin.
Can’t sign in?
Select I forgot my user ID or password at the bottom of the sign in page.
Or, if the person who has the master admin account is no longer available, send us a request to change the master admin.
Step 2: Invite or choose the new master admin
You can invite a new user or choose an existing one to become the master admin.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Manage Users.
- Select Add user.
- Select Company admin as the user type.
- Select Next.
- Enter the new user's info, then select Save.
- Your new user will get an email from email@example.com inviting them to your business. They need to select the Let’s go! link and sign in.
- To complete the process, follow the steps below to make the new user your master admin.
Seeing a user limit?
If you see a user limit message, it’s because QuickBooks Online has a maximum number of users depending on your subscription. Learn more about limits and what you can do to add a user.
Follow these steps if you have an active user you want to be the master admin.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Manage Users. If you don’t see this option, make sure you sign in with the master admin account.
- In the User Type column, check if the user you want is listed as Admin. If they’re not, select Edit to change them to an admin.
- Select the small arrow ▼ in the Action column to the right of the user. Then, select Make master admin.
- In the window, select Make master admin to confirm that you want to make the change.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Sign Out to sign out as the current master admin.
- When the user gets the invitation email, ask them to select the link and accept the invitation.
You’re all set. The user is now the master admin for your QuickBooks account.