Learn how to submit a VAT return under Making Tax Digital (MTD) through the bridging software in QuickBooks Online. This page will take you through everything you need to know when using the tool, including how to:
|Before you start, make sure you have: |
• Set up VAT
• Set up MTD for VAT
• Your Excel or CSV file containing the 9 boxes that make up your VAT return
Submit a VAT return using the bridging software
- Go to Taxes, and then select VAT (Take me there).
- Select the Returns tab.
- Look for the open return and select the ▼ dropdown arrow under the Action column.
- Select Submit with a spreadsheet.
- Select Browse to open and upload your file.
- Select Next.
- Using the dropdown, select the sheet with a summary of all 9 boxes.
- On your computer, open the spreadsheet and make a note of which cell the final figure for Box 1 is in.
- Back in QuickBooks, map your spreadsheet to the 9 boxes. Map the first cell (Box 1) and we’ll do the rest for you.
- Select Review return.
- When you’re ready submit, select the box to declare that the info is true and complete.
- Select Submit to HMRC.
- Select Done.
That’s it! You’ve successfully submitted your VAT return through the bridging software.
If you have a question about MTD, post a question on our Community and start a discussion with an expert.