Learn how you can scan receipts and documents, then attach them to your transactions using QuickBooks Scan Manager.
QuickBooks Scan Manager lets you easily scan receipts and documents and add them to your invoices, sales receipts, bills, and other transactions. Here's how to set it up so you can get started.
Note: Scan Manager was discontinued in QuickBooks Desktop 2022. You can still use Scan Manager in previous, currently supported versions. See Attach Documents for QuickBooks Desktop 2022 or newer.
Set up and use QuickBooks Scan Manager
QuickBooks Scan Manager is compatible with TWAIN compliant scanners.
Step 1: Create your scan profile
- From the Company menu, select Documents, then choose Doc Centre.
- Select Scan a Document.
- Select New to set up a new profile or select an existing scan profile.
- Edit the name of your profile, then select Continue.
- Adjust the profile settings as appropriate, then select Save.
|Tip: Scan Manager always saves your documents on the same folder as your company file (.QBW).|
Step 2: Set up and test your scanner
- Highlight your profile, then choose Select.
- In the Select Scanner window, select Scanner Setup Wizard.
Note: The Current Selection field should show your scanner. If you don't see your scanner, select Yes, then Next to download the latest scanner database from Nuance.
- Select the appropriate mode. This is typically Normal Mode.
- Check the Perform Tests box, then select Next.
- Select the test you want to run, then select Next twice to start testing your scanner.
- Check the Repeat this test in order to check all modes box, then select Next to continue testing in other available modes.
Step 3: Scan and add documents
After successfully testing all modes, you can start using your scanner.
To attach a file, just select the Attach File button on any transaction.
Get help with Scan Manager errors
If you get any of these errors, here's how to fix them.
Tip: Try to switch from wireless to wired, then reinstall the scanner. This fixes issues with attaching directly from scanners.