Use this guide to set up the QuickBooks Time and QuickBooks Desktop Integration using the Web Connector.
Before you get started
- Turn on the Full payroll preferences.
- Ensure your week start date matches in both QuickBooks and QuickBooks Time.
- Ensure Use time data to create payroll payments is checked in both the Company-wide preferences, and for each active employee.
- Ensure all employees are set up with at least one payroll item (time is unable to transfer without at least one payroll item mapped).
- Be able to sign in as the main admin (username is generally admin).
- Be able to switch to single user mode.
- Be on the computer you will be using to sync QuickBooks Time and QuickBooks Desktop because the sync can only be performed in one location.
- Ensure all users that need to have time exported to QuickBooks are added in QuickBooks as either an Employee or Supplier (including admins, if necessary).
All on the same computer:
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop company file that you want to integrate with QuickBooks Time, and sign in as the main administrator and in single user mode.
- Sign into QuickBooks Time as an administrator.
Install the QuickBooks Time Quickbooks integration add-on
- In QuickBooks Time, in the left menu, go to Feature Add-ons > Manage Add-ons.
- In the list, find QuickBooks Desktop Integration, and select Install.
- Step 1: Select Options: Make your selections for what information you want to bring over, and select Next. These selections can be changed later in Preferences. Selections include:
- Delete all users: If you've already added employees into QuickBooks Time, they would not be linked with your QuickBooks account, so you can choose to archive them upon the first sync.
- Import Customers and Jobs: This imports all active customers and their jobs into your QuickBooks Time account to allow employees to track time against them. You can either assign them to all employees, or assign them individually later (uncheck assign imported Customers and Jobs).
Note: If available, the customer's address will also sync into QuickBooks Time for the Nearby Jobs functionality.
- Show Service Items: Brings your Service Item list over as a list employees can pick from while tracking time.
- Show Billable: Gives employees an option to indicate whether the time they're tracking is billable or not.
- Show Class: Brings your Class list over as a list employees can pick from while tracking time.
- Import Suppliers as Employees: If you have Suppliers/Contractors that need to track time, you can choose to import them as users into QuickBooks Time.
- Your first QuickBooks sync will remove any jobs/customers you had set up in QuickBooks Time before the integration, so you may see a warning window. When this window displays, read the warning, and if you want to proceed, type delete, and select Continue.
- Step 2: Set Up Web Connector: select Advanced/Manual Setup.
- Select the blue web_connector link, and open the downloaded file.
- In the security window, select OK.
- In the next security window, select Yes, whenever this QuickBooks company file is open, then Continue.
- In the access confirmation window, select Done.
- In the QuickBooks Time Set Up Web Connector window, locate the password.
- Back on the Web Connector window, enter the 4-digit password and hit enter on your keyboard. Choose to save the password when prompted. Then, check the box to the left of the QuickBooks Time application and select Update Selected.
- After the sync completes, back in QuickBooks Time in the "Congratulations!" window, follow the next steps listed there, like How to Map Payroll Items.