Learn how to upgrade to a newer version QuickBooks Desktop.
How to upgrade your QuickBooks Desktop subscription
When a new version is available, you'll get a message when you open QuickBooks.
- When you’re ready to start, select Upgrade Now.
- Select the Keep old version on my computer checkbox if you also want to keep your current version of QuickBooks. Then select Let’s go. QuickBooks downloads, installs, and registers the new version for you. It also creates an updated version of your company files.
- When the upgrades finished, select Open QuickBooks.
Note: The upgrade may take some time depending on your internet speed and size of your company files.
Do you have an annual subscription, but don’t see a prompt to upgrade? It’s usually because the option to not show the prompt again was selected. Here’s how to get it back so you can upgrade.
- Go to the Edit, then select Preferences.
- From the General tab, select My Preferences.
- Select the Bring back all one time messages checkbox.
- Select OK.
- Close, then re-open QuickBooks. You’ll then have the prompt to upgrade your QuickBooks subscription.
How to upgrade if you don’t have a QuickBooks Desktop subscription
If you don’t see a prompt to upgrade, don’t worry, It means you made a one-time purchase of QuickBooks. You can still upgrade using the easy upgrade tool. Here’s how.
- From the Help menu, select Upgrade QuickBooks.
- If you’re already using Quickbooks, select Upgrade Now.
- Select the version you want to upgrade to, then select Upgrade Now.
- If you want to keep your current version, select Keep old version on my computer, then select Let’s go.
QuickBooks will download, install, and register the new version for you, and then create an updated version of your company file.
If you’re not prompted to choose a new QuickBooks version, you’ll need to enter your QuickBooks license info. This is usually because QuickBooks was purchased using a different email than what you use for your QuickBooks Desktop account. Here’s what to do.
- Find the purchase confirmation email from QuickBooks.
- Enter the License Number and Product Number, then select Continue to finish the upgrade.
You can also sign into the customer account maintenance portal (CAMPs) to find your info.
If you need to purchase QuickBooks Desktop
If you need to purchase QuickBooks, you can purchase it here. After you purchase QuickBooks, you can start the upgrade tool.