Learn how to add, upgrade, or remove clients from wholesale billing in QuickBooks Online Accountant.
Need help managing your clients? We can help you add, upgrade, remove, and transfer clients in and out of wholesale billing. Here's how.
Add clients to wholesale billing
Add a new client to your firm and to your wholesale billing. Note that you can only add the wholesale billing discount for clients who are new to QuickBooks Online subscription.
If your client already has a subscription, proceed to the "Take over a client's direct billing" section.
|Note: Not all clients are eligible for wholesale billing. You can't add a client to your firm's billing if:
Upgrade a Wholesale client
To upgrade a wholesale billing client follow these steps. (Before you proceed, make sure that your billing info is up to date.)
QuickBooks Self-Employed can't be upgraded to any version of QuickBooks Online.
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online Accountant
- Go to Settings ⚙, then Subscriptions and billing.
- In the Manage Wholesale Clients section, locate your client.
- Select the upgrade option in the Actions column.
Is your Wholesale client still pending? You can't upgrade a pending Wholesale client. You must wait for that company to be fully moved over to your Wholesale Billing account before you can make changes to company's subscription.
Add payroll to a Wholesale client company
Before doing this, keep in mind that the accountant user paying for this company's Wholesale Billing must be the one to add payroll.
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online Accountant, then enter your client's books.
- Go to Workers or Payroll menu, then select Employees.
- To start setting up payroll, select Choose your plan.
Is your Wholesale client still pending? You can turn on payroll even when your Wholesale client is still in pending status.
Remove clients from wholesale billing
After you remove your client from wholesale billing, they’ll have read-only access to their QuickBooks company. Your client will get their full access back once they update their billing info. They also lose any discount that your firm received which results in them getting billed at the regular rate. This doesn't affect your access to their company in any way. If your client has payroll, you can also remove payroll from wholesale billing.
Here’s how you can remove your client.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Subscriptions & Billing.
- Select any clients you want to remove. If that client is inactive, you need to make them active before you continue.
- From the Batch Actions ▼dropdown, select Transfer billing to client.
- Select Remove.
Take over a client’s direct billing
Make sure the client is on your Client list in QuickBooks Online Accountant, then follow these steps to add existing clients to your subscriptions.
Note: We’ve made it more secure for your existing clients to transfer their direct billing to you. To add a client to your firm's subscriptions, the company’s master admin must first approve the transfer in their QuickBooks Online.
- Get your client’s permission to take over their billing. Your client can follow these quick steps in their QuickBooks Online company.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Subscriptions and billing.
- Select Add existing clients, then check if your client is eligible to add.
- Select the client’s checkbox, then Add clients. If this option is grayed out, go to their company and enter their billing info first.
- In the confirmation window, select Continue.
Transfer wholesale billing between firms
If your client’s subscription is receiving a wholesale billing discount from a different firm, they can still get your discount once their old firm removes them. Make sure you complete the transfer within 60 days from the time they got removed to be eligible for the discount.
Step 1: Remove client from previous firm’s wholesale billing
If your client’s subscription is still part of the other firm’s wholesale billing, have your client’s old firm remove them from wholesale billing. If they’re no longer part of the old firm, proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Add a client to your firm
Step 3: Move a client’s subscription to your wholesale billing
After adding the client to your firm, follow the steps in the "Take over a client’s direct billing" section. Then wait for the pricing to update, which usually takes a week.
If the pricing doesn't update after a week, we're here to help.