Learn how to add or remove clients from wholesale billing in QuickBooks Online Accountant.
Need help managing your clients? We can help you add, remove, and transfer clients in and out of wholesale billing. Here's how.
Add clients to wholesale billing
Add a new client to your firm and to your wholesale billing. Note that you can only add the wholesale billing discount for clients who are new to QuickBooks Online subscription.
If your client already has a subscription, proceed to the "Take over a client's direct billing" section below.
Remove clients from wholesale billing
After you remove your client from wholesale billing, they will have read-only access to their QuickBooks company. Your client will get their full access back once they update their billing info. They also lose any discount that your firm received which results in them getting billed at the regular rate. This doesn't affect your access to their company in any way.
Here’s how you can remove them.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Subscriptions & Billing.
- Select any clients you want to remove. If that client is inactive, you need to make them active before you continue.
- From the Batch Actions ▼dropdown menu, select Transfer billing to client.
- Select Remove.
Take over a client’s direct billing
Make sure the client is part of your firm, then follow these steps to add existing clients to your subscriptions.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Subscriptions and billing.
- Select Add existing clients, then check if your client is eligible to add.
- Mark the client’s checkbox, then Add clients. If this option is grayed out, go to their company and enter their billing info first.
- In the confirmation window, select Continue.
Transfer wholesale billing between firms
If your client’s subscription is receiving a wholesale billing discount from a different firm, they can still get yours once their old firm removes them. Make sure you complete the transfer within 60 days from the time they got removed to be eligible for the discount.
Step 1: Remove client from previous firm’s wholesale billing
If your client’s subscription is still part of the other firm’s wholesale billing, have your client’s old firm remove them from wholesale billing. If they’re no longer part of the old firm, proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Add client to your firm
Step 3: Move a client’s subscription to your wholesale billing
After adding the client to your firm, follow the steps in the "Take over a client’s direct billing" section. Then wait for the pricing to update which usually takes a week.