Learn how to find transactions in your account registers so you can review or edit them.
An account register gives you the history of an account. It lists all past and current transactions associated with it.
If you need to review your transactions or make quick edits, you can do them right from an account register. Account registers also have filtering and sorting tools that speed up your search.
Step1: Find a transaction
There are a few ways to find what you're looking for.
Filter your transactions
- Select the Accounting menu and select Chart of Accounts.
- Find and select the register you want to review.
- In the Actions column, select View register.
- Select the Filter icon. Then select the filters you want you to apply. You can use the Find field to search by amount, reference number, or memo.
- To remove a filter, select the X next to the filter name.
- Select Apply.
You can also sort and reorder the list of transactions by date, reference number, type of payment, or reconcile status. By default, your most recent transactions appear at the top.
- Hover over a column header.
- Select the ▲ or ▼ icon to order the transactions based on the header.
- Select the header again to change the order.
Remove columns or change the view
- Select the Settings ⚙ at the top of the list.
- Select and uncheck the boxes to hide the columns.
You can also select Paper Ledger Mode if you want your register to look like a regular checkbook.
Note: Do you see NA in the Balance column? When you sort the register by date, the balance column shows a number. If you sort by any other column, the Balance column displays as N/A.
Step 2: Edit a transaction
- Find and select the transaction in the account register to expand the view.
- Make changes in the available fields.
- If you want to change something in the grayed-out sections, select Edit. This opens the full transaction form where you can make additional changes.
- When you're ready, select Save or Save and close.
Some transactions can't be edited directly in the register. You need to select the transaction and open the full form to make edits.