Learn how to add transactions directly to an account register.
In Quickbooks, there are multiple ways to enter and track transactions. You can create a sales form, like an invoice or sales receipt, to capture the entire business cycle. We recommend this method in most cases since it gives you the most flexibility and features.
You can also add transactions manually while you're working in your account register. This saves time if you're reviewing your chart of accounts and need to make a quick addition. Here's how to manually add transactions to an account register.
Step 1: Open an account register
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Chart of accounts.
Tip: You can also select Chart of accounts from the Transactions tab in the MENU ▼ dropdown.
- Find the account register you want to review.
- Select View register from the Actions column.
Note: Not every account register lets you add transactions directly.
Step 2: Add a transaction to the account register
- At the very top of the list, select the Add journal entry, Add check, or Add deposit ▼ dropdown menu.
- Select the type of transaction you want to add.
- Fill out the fields to complete the transaction.
- When you're done, select Save.
Next Steps: Edit transactions in a register