Learn how to use statements to show customers a summary of their invoices, payments, credits, and balances.
There are three types of customer statements in QuickBooks Online. Here's how to create Balance Forward, Open Item, and Transaction Statements.
Create a customer statement
- Go to the Sales menu and select the Customers tab.
- Select the checkboxes for the customer or customers you want to make statements for.
- In the Batch actions dropdown ▼, select Create statements.
- In the Statement Type dropdown ▼, select the type of statement you'd like to make:
- Balance Forward: A list of invoices and payments with balance for date range selected
- Open Item: A list of open, unpaid invoices from the last 365 days
- Transaction Statement: A list of transactions between the selected dates
- Fill in the date fields and select Apply.
- Select Save, Save and close, Save and send, or Print or Preview.
View customer statements you created already
- Go to the Sales menu and select the All sales tab.
- Select the Filter dropdown▼ menu. Then, in the Type dropdown▼, select Statements.
- Select the Date dropdown▼, and which option you'd like to use.
- Select the Customer dropdown▼. Then select All or the specific customer you'd like to see statements for.
Customize your statements
You have a few options if you'd like to customize your statements. Go to your preferences to see those options.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and Settings.
- Select the Sales tab and scroll to the bottom to Statements.
- Select Edit ✎.
- Select either List each transaction as a single line or List each transaction including all detail lines.
- Select the Show aging table at bottom of statement checkbox.
- Select Save.
Common questions about statements
How do I delete a statement?
Open the statement. From the bar at the bottom of the page, select Delete.
How do I edit a statement?
If you make a change to a transaction, the statement will update to match it. You can also customize the statement using the steps above.
Why are some customers missing when I try to make statements?
There are a few reasons this can happen. If you use the steps above, the statement window will tell you why your customers are missing.