Set up a live video appointment or message your QuickBooks-certified bookkeeper whenever you need help. Learn More.
Learn how to use statements to show customers a summary of their invoices, payments, credits, and balances.
You have 3 types of statements to choose from in QuickBooks Online. Let's show you how to make them.
Make a customer statement
- Go to the Sales or Invoicing menu and select Customers.
- Select the customer or customers you want to make statements for.
- In the Batch actions drop-down, select Create statements.
- In the Statement Type drop-down, select the type of statement you'd like to make.
- Balance Forward - A list of invoices and payments with balance for date range selected
- Open Item - Open unpaid invoices from the last 365 days
- Transaction Statement - A list of transactions between the selected dates
- Fill in the date fields and select Apply.
- Select Save, Save and send, or Print or Preview.
View statements you created already
- Go to the Sales or Invoicing menu and select All Sales.
- Select the customer or customers you want to see statements for.
- Select the Filter drop-down menu. Then, in the Type drop-down, select Statements.
Customize your statements
You have a few options if you'd like to customize your statements. Go to your preferences to see those options.
- Go to the Create ⨁ icon and select Account and Settings.
- Select the Sales tab.
- Select Edit ✏️
- Select from the following options.
- List each transaction as a single line
- List each transaction including all detail lines
- Show aging table at bottom of statement
- Select Save.
Common questions about statements
How do I delete a statement?
Open the statement. From the bar at the bottom of the page, select Delete.
How do I edit a statement?
If you make a change to a transaction, the statement will update to match it. You can also customize the statement using the steps above.
Why are some customers missing when I try to make statements?
There are a few reasons this can happen. If you use the steps above, the statement window will tell you why your customers are missing.