Learn about your options to pay and file your payroll taxes with
- QuickBooks Online Payroll Core
- QuickBooks Online Payroll Premium
- QuickBooks Online Payroll Elite
With these payroll services, you have the flexibility to choose how you want your payroll taxes and form filings handled. We can pay and file your federal and state payroll taxes for you, or you can now opt to pay and file them yourself.
For other QuickBooks or Intuit Payroll products, see Tax payments and forms Intuit Payroll submits for you.
Take care of your taxes automatically
Having Intuit file and process your tax payments for you can be a huge time saver and helps to make sure everything is compliant. We handle this for you on federal, state and local payroll taxes.
Note: local taxes aren't automated in QuickBooks Online Payroll Core. If you're interested in automating those payments, learn about upgrading your payroll service.
After you’ve completed your payroll setup, we will pay and file your payroll taxes for you.
Turn off automatic tax payments and form filings
The automated tax payment and form filing feature is enabled by default. You can turn this feature off and handle taxes manually if you prefer.
Note: You can't turn this feature off during January to prevent tax filing issues.
- Select the Settings ⚙ icon, then select Payroll Settings.
- In the Taxes and forms section, clear the Automate taxes and forms checkbox.
- Select Save.
Now that you have automated taxes turned off, we’ll let you know when your tax payments and form filings are due. You'll see reminders in your payroll to do list. When you're ready to pay or file your payroll taxes, see steps in Pay and file payroll taxes online
Contact us to do a few things that impact your payroll taxes
You have additional support from our care team to make sure your taxes are done right.
Please contact us for help with the following:
- Make corrections to submitted payroll
- Exempt an employee from taxes
- Add work locations in new states
- Change your Federal form preferences, such as including a third party designee and/or a paid preparer
- Change your bank account
- Update your chart of accounts for past transactions