Learn how to assign classes to transactions in QuickBooks Online Plus and Advanced.
New to class tracking? Classes represent meaningful segments in your company, like store departments or product lines. Check out our class tracking overview to learn if it’s the right tool for you and how to get started.
Once you’ve set up your classes, you can start to organize your customer and vendor transactions by class. We’ll show you how, so you can get a clear picture of your profitability by business segment.
Tag a class to a transaction
Here’s how to tag a class to each row or item in any transaction.
Tip: You have the option to assign one class to an entire invoice, receipt, or any other customer transaction. This saves you time if you don’t need to track each product you sell by class. If you want to track your customer transactions this way, follow the steps in "Change how you tag a class in customer transactions" section.
- Select the Create icon ⨁.
- Select the type of transaction you want to record.
- Add the details of the transaction.
- Assign a class:
- To assign one to entire invoice or receipt, select the Class ▼ drop-down at the top.
- To assign one to each item (or row), add the class in the Class column.
Tip: Need a new class? Select + Add new at the top of the drop-down list to quickly create a new one.
- Save your transaction.
If you download bank transactions
You won’t have to add classes again when you match downloads to existing transactions in your books.
But if a downloaded bank transaction doesn’t match with any existing transaction, you can assign a class to it and add it as a new record.
Change how you tag a class in customer transactions
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and Settings.
- Select Advanced then select Edit ✎ in the Categories section.
- Select Track classes.
- Select the Assign classes ▼ drop-down, then select One to entire transaction or One to each row in transaction.Tip: Select One to entire transaction if you don’t need to enter a class for each product you sell to a customer.
- Select Save, then Done.