Learn what to do in QuickBooks Online when a customer overpays you.
Customers can pay you too much for several reasons. When this happens, you can use the credit toward an invoice, refund the customer, or enter the overpayment as a tip in QuickBooks.
Option 1: Apply the credit to an invoice
Apply the credit to an invoice you already created
- Go to the Create ⨁ icon and select Receive Payment.
- Select the customer, then the credit and the invoice.
- Select Save and New or Save and Close.
Apply the credit to a new invoice
- Go to the Create ⨁ icon and select Invoice.
- Create the invoice, then select Receive Payment.
- Select the credit and then Save and New or Save and Close.
Tip: Set up customer credits to apply to future payments by default.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and Settings.
- Select Advanced.
- In the Automation section, select Edit, and select Automatically apply credits.
Option 2: Refund the customer for the overpayment
If your customer overpaid you on accident, you can give them a refund.
Option 3: Record the overpayment as a tip
If your customer paid more than their total on purpose, you can record it as a tip.
More time on your business, less time on your books.
Get a dedicated team of QuickBooks-certified bookkeepers to set up, import, and categorize all your transactions for you. Learn more about QuickBooks Live Bookkeeping.