Learn how to personalize your sales forms and add the info that matters most to your business.
QuickBooks Online gives you the tools to create attractive, professional-looking invoices, estimates, and sales receipts. Customized sales forms are a simple yet effective way to enhance your business' brand. You don’t need to be a designer to make eye-catching designs. And you get to decide what info your customer sees.
You can personalize the appearance and layout of your sales forms. Once you create your masterpiece, save it as a custom template so you can use it at any time. The steps are slightly different if you are a new QuickBooks customer, so follow the steps for your version.
If you use QuickBooks Online Essentials, Plus, Advanced, or are in Accountant View
You can create separate templates for your invoices, estimates, and sales receipts. You can also have multiple templates for each form.
Step 1: Create a new template
- Go to Settings ⚙ and then select Custom Form Styles.
- Select New Style.
- Select the type of form you want to create.
Step 2: Design your template
You'll see a preview of your changes as you make them. Whenever you're ready to save your changes, select Done.
To adjust the general layout and look of your template:
- Select the Design tab.
- Give your template a name.
- Select Dive in with a template to choose a layout. These layouts are fixed. We recommend the Airy new. If you want to add SKUs or create progress invoices, you need to use Airy new.
- Select Add your unique logo to upload a new logo.
- Select Splash on some color to pick a color scheme. You can also enter a hex code to use a truly custom color.
- Select Get choosy with your font to change the font and size.
- Select When in doubt, print it out to adjust the margins. This is important if you send printed forms to your customers.
Step 3: Customize the info on your forms
Go to the Content tab to start customizing the details. Forms have three sections: header, table, and footer.
Select a section on the sample form to edit the fields. You'll edit each section separately. You can edit, add, or remove data fields on custom forms. You have many options. We won't cover them all, but here are a few highlights:
Step 4: Personalize your email message
Make things personal and change the message customers see when they get their invoice or sales receipt. If you want to use your default messaging, you can skip this.
In the Custom Form Styles window, go to the Emails tab. You can change the subject line, greeting, and message body. You can even customize reminder emails.
Note: QuickBooks doesn't show shortened URLs when you send emails to customers. This is for security purposes to prevent bad actors from pretending to be Intuit.
Step 5: Turn on online payments for invoices
If you want to get paid faster, let your customers pay their invoices online.
By default, invoices aren't set up for digital payments. You need to turn on QuickBooks Payments. This is an add-on payment processing service.
If you haven't already, you can turn on payments once you're finished customizing your form:
- Select + New.
- Select Invoice or Send Invoice.
- In the Online Payments section, select Finish setup.
- After you sign up, go back to the invoice. Select and check the payment options you want to make available.
Learn more about QuickBooks Payments.
Step 6: Apply a template to an invoice, sales receipt, or estimate
QuickBooks uses whatever you set as your default template each time you make a new invoice, sales receipt, or estimate. You can also select a specific template for specific transactions directly on the form:
- Create or open an existing invoice, sales receipt, or estimate.
- Select Customize in the footer.
- Select a custom template from the list.
Step 7: Edit custom templates
To manage your custom templates, select Settings ⚙ and then Custom Form Styles.
QuickBooks creates a standard template based on the first custom template you create. It's your default for invoices, sales receipts, and estimates. To set one of your custom templates as the default:
- Find your template.
- Select the ▼ in the Action column.
- Select Make default.
To edit a custom template:
- In the Custom Form Styles window, find your custom or standard template.
- Select Edit in the Action column.
If you use QuickBooks Simple Start or the simple invoice template in Business view
All the tools you need to customize invoices are on the form itself. Note: In QuickBooks Simple Start, you can have one invoice template at a time. You can customize invoices, but not other types of sales forms.
- Create or open an invoice.
- Select Edit company . On the Choose what you use panel, click decide what company info you want your customers to see.
- Select Save when you're done.
- Select Add logo to upload your logo.
- Select Settings to start customizing the layout and appearance.
Customize your invoices
You can add fields, change the color scheme, and enable payments directly on the invoice form. Here are just a few things you can do:
- Create or open an invoice.
- Select Settings ⚙ on the Invoice form. On the Choose what you use panel, select Change what your customers see to decide what company info you want your customers to see.
- Select the Content section.
- Under Forms, select the Form numbers.
- Under Display, select or clear Terms, Ship to, or Due Date checkboxes to add or remove these fields in the form.
|Important: Sales tax isn't turned on by default. If you need to collect sales tax and haven't set it up yet, select Activate. Here are detailed steps for how to set up sales tax.|
- Select the Design section to change the colors, font, and logo. Tip: You can enter a hex code in the Color field if you want a truly customized color.
- Select the Email section. Personalize the message your customers see when they receive their invoice.
- If you've set up QuickBooks payments, select the Payments section to turn on payment options for your customers.
When you're done customizing, select Hide or Settings to close the customization window. Then finish your invoice.
Switch from back to the old invoice template