Did you already sign up and set up your independent contractors for Direct Deposit? You must do that first before you can pay them with direct deposit.
Now, make sure you meet these requirements before paying your independent contractors through Direct Deposit:
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic, Standard & Enhanced customers must have latest release of QuickBooks Desktop installed, and must sign up for the Direct Deposit service.
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted customers must have the latest release of QuickBooks Desktop installed.
This service is available only to payroll customers making payments to independent contractors and should not be used to pay bills or make any payments to individuals or entities other than independent contractors.
Once you have met these requirements, if you want to pay your independent contractors direct deposits through Write Checks, see below.
To pay an independent contractor using Direct Deposit:
- Choose Banking > Write Checks.
- Click the Bank Account drop-down arrow and select your checking account.
- Click the Pay to the Order of drop-down arrow and select the independent contractor.
Enter the date that the independent contractor should be paid in Date.To pay by Direct Deposit the pay date must not be less than two business days in the future. If a date less than two business days is selected the check will automatically choose the next available date to pay via Direct Deposit.
- Enter the amount of the check in the $ field.
- Click the Expense tab and select the expense account.
Verify Pay Online is checked.
If bank account information has been added for a independent contractor selecting Write Checks will default to the check to Direct Deposit. If you do not want to send payment via Direct Deposit uncheck Online Payment.
- Click Save & Close.
The Confirmation and Next Steps page will appear.
Click the Send to Intuit to open the Send/Receive window.If Close is clicked you can return to the Send/Receive window clicking Employees > Send Payroll Data.
- Click Send and enter your Direct Deposit PIN.
- After the transmission is complete you will receive a confirmation message (if you are also sending payroll, you will receive 2 messages) and report.
- A check for each independent contractor paid and an additional check to QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Service fees will post to your bank register. The check will have an electronic payment symbol in the upper left corner and Direct Deposit written in the memo.