Find out what to do if you have an NSF hold on your payroll service.
When you use our payroll services, we debit your business bank account for the direct deposit amounts and payroll taxes due (if we pay your taxes for you). Your account may be on hold because the debit was returned due to an issue with your bank account.
Here’s how to get this resolved so you can get back to running your payroll.
Step 1: Look for an email from us
We send an email to the Payroll Admin listed on your payroll account that includes a specific return code [RXX] and explains everything you need to know.
Look for a message with one of the following subject lines:
- Important: Direct Deposit Payment Unsuccessful. Urgent Issue with the Payroll Account for [Business Name]
- Intuit Payroll Services Action Required: Payment Request for Failed Payroll Debit
- Intuit Payroll Services Action Required: Partial Payment Received
- Important: Tax Payment Unsuccessful. Urgent Issue with the Payroll Account for [Business Name]
If the Payroll Admin listed on your account didn’t receive the email, have them check their junk or spam folder. If they still can’t find it, contact us for help.
You can use the instructions below, but you’ll need the email with your specific return code.
Step 2: Resolve the NSF
Find the return code in your email and select it below.
Get answers to common questions
Were my employees or contractors paid? What about my tax payments?
Select your payroll service to learn how we handle paying your employees, contractors, and tax payments.
How can I avoid this in the future?
In general, you just need to be sure to have enough money in your bank account to cover your direct deposits, tax payments, and any other payroll related fees at the time you send payroll, contractor, or electronic tax payments to us. See our terms of service for more info.
If cash flow is tight and you use one of our full service payroll products, you may want to consider using QuickBooks Online Payroll Core with auto pay and file disabled, or QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced. This can give you more control over the timing of running your payroll and paying your payroll taxes.
What happens if I don’t pay the balance due?
Your account will be canceled and sent to collections within 28 days of the initial NSF.
Do you provide letters of indemnity?
We do not provide letters of indemnity. See our terms of service.
Resolve a different hold or NSF issue
- Do you have an NSF issue with one of your customers? See Handle Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) or a bounced check from customers.
- If your email subject line is: QuickBooks [Payments or Payroll] Incomplete Verification Case [XXXXXXXXX] Response Required, see Verify your principal officer and business identity for payroll or payments accounts.
- If your email subject line is: Important: Urgent issue with the payroll account for [Business Name], see Resolve an urgent issue with your payroll account.