Learn what to do if you get a Backup Failed error and QuickBooks can't copy your company file.
If you get an error when you try to backup your company file in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, try not to worry. It might be because you’re on macOS Big Sur (11.2) or lower.
Solution 1: Upgrade your macOS
Upgrading to the most recent macOS should solve it. If it doesn’t, here’s what to do:
Solution 2: Remove QuickBooks PLIST files
- Close QuickBooks and any other open applications.
- Select the Go menu, then press the Option key, then select Library.
- Open the Preferences folder.
- Find PLIST files like com.intuit.QuickBooks20XX.
Note: XX is the QuickBooks version you’re using.
- Move the PLIST files to the Trash to delete them.
- Empty the trash and restart your computer
- Open QuickBooks and make sure the Backup preference is set correctly.
- Make a backup to make sure it works.