Learn how to convert a QuickBooks Desktop for Windows file to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
If you’re moving from QuickBooks Desktop for Windows to Mac, don’t worry. You don’t need to start over. We’ll show you how to convert your company file to Mac and pick up where you left off. Here’s how.
Note: You can only move company files from QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Premier or Premier Accountant Editions.
Step 1: On your Windows computer
- Update QuickBooks for Desktop for Windows to the latest release.
- Open the file as the administrator.
- Go to the File menu, then select Utilities. Select Copy Company File for QuickBooks Mac, then follow the onscreen instructions. QuickBooks will create a MAC.qbb (backup) file.
- You’ll see a message that says "It looks like ‘QuickBooks for Windows’ might be a better fit for your company," Make sure to check what data isn’t converted from Windows. If you want to continue, select Yes.
- Go to the folder you want to save the file in. Name the file, and select Save. Make sure to not use special characters in the file name.
- Move the file to your Mac by using any storage device such as USB flash drive, etc.
Step 2: Restore the MAC.qbb backup on your Mac
A MAC.qbb file is a copy of a QuickBooks Desktop company file that you can restore in QuickBooks for Mac. Here’s how:
- Update QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to the latest release.
- Close QuickBooks.
- Copy the backup to the Documents folder on your Mac.
- Reopen QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, then select File, then select Open Company.
- Select the MAC.qbb file, then select Open.
- Select OK when asked if you want to restore a QuickBooks for Windows file.
- Enter a name for the restored file, and then select Save.