Learn how to build a custom report in QuickBooks Online Advanced. Use a pre-built report or get started by customizing your own to organize your company’s financial data. This provides you freedom with how you want to see your reports.
If you have QuickBooks Online Simple Start, Essentials, or Plus, here's how you can customize your reports.
Create a custom report
Generate a customized report through the use of filters. If you haven’t yet, sign in to QuickBooks Online as an administrator.
- Go to Business overview, then select Reports.
- Select +Create new report, select the report type, then select Create.
- Select the pencil icon 🖉, then enter/edit the name of your report.
Note: The New Enhanced Experience shows all the categories up front, so you can select how you want to personalize your report.
|Customization Options||What you can do|
|Date range dropdown▼||Select the date coverage of your generated data.|
|Pivot||Select Pivot to summarize and total your report data. Here’s how:|
1. Select which fields to categorize in the rows and columns, then select which value field you want to summarize.
2. Select Show totals to add a totals row or column.
3. Once you've selected Rows, Columns, and Values, the report view displays as a pivot table. Switch off Show Pivot Table to return to the original view.
|Group||Select Group to categorize line items by any column. |
Select Edit group calculations ▼ to calculate totals, averages, or percentages for numeric groups.
Tip: When a report is grouped, select expand ▼ to view the details inside that group. Hierarchical grouping options are only available when grouping by the first column, and cannot be used with other grouping options.
|Filter||Select Filter to view only certain entries.|
Select what you want to filter by, select the operation, then select from the provided values.
Tip: You can apply multiple filters.
|Customize||Select Customize to set the report’s number of fields and what’s in them. Here’s how:|
1. Select Columns, look for a topic you want to report on, and select it to reveal the available fields.
2. Select any field you want to view in the report.
Note: Some fields may not work in a report together. When you select a field, non-compatible fields will be unavailable. If you use custom fields, they appear in this list.
3. To change the order in which selected fields appear, select Layout, then select and drag the listed fields in the order you want.
Note: Select show/hide to hide or unhide a field.
- Select Save to save your report. You can edit the report at any time.
Tip: Select Export to export the data to a spreadsheet to store and access it in the future.
View your custom reports
If you haven’t yet, sign in to QuickBooks Online as an administrator.
- Go to Business overview then select Reports.
- Select Custom reports and select the report name to open it.
Tip: If you want to view any transaction in your report, select any field in the report row to open the transaction in a new tab.
Visualize your report
Visualize your report with a chart view to create presentation-ready charts of your report data.
- Open your custom report.
- Select Chart View.
- Select the chart type to see how you want to visualize your data.
- Adjust which field displays on the Horizontal (X) axis and the Vertical (Y) axis by selecting an option in the dropdowns.
- Select Save.
Schedule an emailed report
- In the Custom reports tab, select the report name to open it.
- Select Schedule Report.
- Enter a Workflow name.
- Select a start date, then choose how often you want the report to be sent.
Ex: If you want the report sent every other Monday, enter 2, select Week, then select Mo.
- Enter the email address you want to send the report to.
- Fill out a desired Subject and Message.
- Select Save and enable.
Note: If you need to turn off the scheduled report or update the frequency, select Settings, then select Manage workflows. Here’s how you can learn more about how to create and manage workflows.