Learn how to integrate your QuickBooks Time and ADP Workforce Now (ADP WFN) so you can have automatic employee updates and export timesheet data.
Learn how to:
- Only one QuickBooks Time account can be linked to one ADP WFN account.
- You can’t use any other integrations in QuickBooks Time if you have an ADP WFN integration.
- ADP charges to use the integration app. If have questions or concerns about your billing, reach out to your ADP account rep.
If you have QuickBooks Time and ADP Workforce Now:
- In QuickBooks Time, go to Feature Add-ons, then Manage Add-ons.
- Locate ADP Workforce Now, and select Get. You will be taken to the QuickBooks Time Connector app in the ADP Marketplace.
- Note: You may be required to sign in to the ADP Marketplace.
- To get the app, select Buy Now. You'll be guided through the app purchase.
- Note: Because the QuickBooks Time account already existed, QuickBooks Time continues to own billing for software and remain separate from ADP billing.
- A window appears, prompting you to sign in to QuickBooks Time (info is pre-filled if QuickBooks Time is open on another page). Select I agree to share my QuickBooks Time data with ADP. Your accounts will be connected.
If you have ADP Workforce Now, but not QuickBooks Time:
- Log in to ADP WorkForce Now using the Administrator Sign In.
- Go to QuickBooks Time Time Tracking for ADP WorkForce Now.
- To get the app, select Start a Free Trial. You’ll be guided through the app purchase which includes a 30-day free trial.
- You can only start one trial through the ADP Marketplace.
- A follow up email will be sent 7 days before your trial end. If you don’t subscribe, the QuickBooks Time account cancels and you lose the ability to bill through ADP.
- If you want to subscribe, go to the ADP marketplace, and select Upgrade to Paid Edition.
- After you’ve completed the app purchase process, you’ll receive an email to the email address that’s on file with ADP. This contains instructions on how to finish setting up your QuickBooks Time account.
- Note: Your billing for QuickBooks Time will be through ADP. If have questions or concerns about your billing, reach out to your ADP RUN account rep.
Give consent to send data
Once you purchase the integration app through the ADP Marketplace, you’ll receive an email to consent to the changes made to your ADP account. The email could take up to 24 hours but on average it's within a few minutes of completing the integration.
It’s best to use the steps in the email, but if you don’t get the email, there’s a couple options:
Option 1: After you complete an order of QuickBooks Time in the ADP Marketplace:
- Select Go To MYAPPS.
- Hover over the QuickBooks Time app, then select the gear icon, and Manage App.
- Select Allow, then continue on the Consent Request page.
Option 2: Sign in through Consent Manager:
- Use your ADP sign in credentials on the Consent Manager page.
- Under Pending Consents, find QuickBooks Time and select Manage.
- Select Allow, then continue on the Consent Request page.
It can take up to 24 hours for the consent to process. After consent, you can continue with the import process.
Note: If you want to sync time off, you’ll need to reach out to support to request it.
In order for your employees to link correctly with the initial integration, you’ll need to first add them in QuickBooks Time.
Manually add employees in QuickBooks Time
- Make sure all employees in ADP that need to track time are added in QuickBooks Time.
- Once they’re added, go to My Team, then select a team member.
- Update their info with the following:
- Add the employee’s ADP File ID to the Payroll ID field in QuickBooks Time to link the profiles. This should be 6 digits, including leading zeros.
- For Multi-Company Access accounts, include the ADP Company Code in each Payroll ID field in QuickBooks Time with the format CCC:NNNNNN, where CCC is the company code, and NNNNNN is the employee File ID. (Make sure to include the colon).
- After the initial integration is completed and existing employees are linked, adding, editing or deleting employees should be done in ADP WFN. The following actions in ADP will sync into QuickBooks Time within 2 minutes:
- An edit to an employee’s First name, Last name, and/or work email.
- Newly hired employees sync to QuickBooks Time as new team members.
- A terminated employee archives the team member in QuickBooks Time. If a team member is archived in QuickBooks Time before they’re archived in ADP, they remain archived, even if a change to that team member is made in ADP. It won’t affect the employee in ADP.
Step 1: In QuickBooks Time
- Go to Approvals, then Run Report for the date range you want to approve.
- Select each team member, then Approve Time.
- In the Approvals report, select ADP Export Approved Time and confirm the export. A success window displays once the export is complete.
Step 2: In ADP Workforce Now
- Go to Process, and select Payroll, then Paydata.
- The newest batch of time displays at the bottom of the displayed list.
- Select the batch to view time details. Time can be adjusted here but won’t reflect in QuickBooks Time.
Note: If a batch was exported twice by mistake or there’s errors, delete a batch by selecting Actions, then Delete.
Disconnect the integration
If you need to disconnect the integration, first determine who owns the billing. Go to the ADP Marketplace to check which integration app you have.
If you have QuickBooks Time for ADP Workforce Now:
- ADP WFN owns the billing. Unsubscribe from the app in your billing preferences.
- Note: If you’re paying for your QuickBooks Time account through ADP RUN and you uninstall the app, that cancels your QuickBooks Time account. If you want to keep QuickBooks Time, you need to log in to QuickBooks Time and pay for the subscription there.
- Go to the ADP Marketplace, and hover over the app.
- Select Settings [gear icon], then select Manage app.
If you have QuickBooks Time Connector for ADP Workforce Now:
- QuickBooks Time owns billing. In QuickBooks Time, go to Feature Add-ons, then Manage Add-ons.
- Find ADP RUN, and select Uninstall.