Learn how to update your QuickBooks license and product info.
There might be times when you need to change your license number or product code for QuickBooks Desktop. Here’s how to do it.
|Need to install QuickBooks in another computer? Don't worry. After you follow the steps below, you can use the migrator tool so you can skip re-entering the license number or product code in the new computer. The migrator tool will also take care of moving all of your data for you.|
Change the license number
You can change the license number without uninstalling and reinstalling the application.
QuickBooks Desktop for Windows
- From the QuickBooks Help menu, select Manage My License, then Change My License Number.
- Enter the new license number, select Next then Finish.
QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
- From the QuickBooks menu, select Manage My License, then Deauthorize This Computer.
- When you get the prompt, select Deauthorize and Quit.
- Re-open QuickBooks and follow the registration process. It'll let you enter a different license.
Change the QuickBooks product code (Windows users only)
Solution 1: Uninstall and then reinstall QuickBooks
If your business runs Pro, Premier, or Enterprise in five or fewer computers, the best way to change your product code is to reinstall the software.
If you have QuickBooks Enterprise installed in five or fewer computers, we recommend that you follow the reinstall process above. However, if you use Enterprise in more than five computers, it can be time-consuming to reinstall.
Another way to update your product code is by editing a file called “qbregistration.dat.” This file has your product codes for all installed QuickBooks software.
Note: If you don’t feel comfortable following these steps, we recommend that you reach out to an IT professional.
Step 1: Open your qbregistation.dat file through QuickBooks
- Open QuickBooks.
- On your keyboard, press F2 (or Ctrl+1) and then F3 (or Ctrl+2) to open the Tech Help window.
- Select QBREGISTRATION.DAT on the Open File tab, then select Open File. The file will open in Notepad.
- Create a backup of the qbregistration.dat file. Quickbooks won't open right if there are any typos in the file. This step is extremely important.
- From the Notepad File menu, select Save As.
- Select Desktop in the Save As window, then select Save.
- Close the file.
- Re-open the file from the Tech Help window.
- Close QuickBooks, but keep the qbregistation.dat file open in Notepad.
Step 2: Edit your qbregistration.dat file
- In Notepad, select Edit then Replace or Ctrl +H in the qbregistration.dat file.
- Type in your old product number in the Find what field and replace it with the new one in the Replace with field. Use the format XXX-XXX when you enter the product number.
- Select Replace All.
- Select File and then Save and close the file.
Step 3: Check your product code
- Open QuickBooks.
- On your keyboard, press F2 to display the Product Information window.
- Check the Product number field to make sure the product code is now updated.
If the product code didn't change, restart your computer. If you still see your old product code after a reboot, follow the reinstall process above (Solution 1).