Learn how to find and restore your backup company file in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
Lost your data? Or do you need to undo recent changes in your company file? Don't worry. If you created a backup in QuickBooks for Mac, you can restore your company file in a few easy steps. We'll show you how.
Step 1: Browse to your backup company file
QuickBooks for Mac creates a DMG file when you create a backup. This file contains a copy of your company file and other documents you saved in QuickBooks, like forms or PDFs.
If you're not sure where you save your backup company files, here's how you can search for it.
- From the QuickBooks menu, select Preferences.
- Select Backup.
- Select Reveal Backup Folder, then double-click the folder where you save your backup files.
- You can select Date Modified to sort by date and see your most recent backup.
Important: Keep in mind that your backup company's file name also shows the year version of QuickBooks you use. This makes it easy to find the backup for your QuickBooks version. For example, if you use QuickBooks for Mac 2020, your backup company should be "Your business name.qb2020."
Step 2: Restore your backup company file
Once you know where your backup is, here's how to restore it in QuickBooks
- Double-click the backup file. This opens a new window that shows a copy of your company file. If you have attached documents in your backup, you should also see a folder called Attachments Library.
- Drag the copy of your company file to the folder where you keep your QuickBooks company. If you see Attachments Library, drag the folder to the same location.
Tip: If you have an existing company file and you don't want to overwrite it, you can move the backup copy to a separate folder.
- Open your QuickBooks for Mac.
- Select Browse, then go to the folder where you saved the copy of the company file. Select the company file, then Open.
- A prompt lets you know that you are opening a backup file. Select Continue.
- Enter a name for the company file, then Save.
- Select OK.
Step 3: Restore your attached documents
If you moved your Attachments Library folder, you can also restore it so you can use your attached documents in your QuickBooks.
- From the QuickBooks menu, select Preferences, then Attachments.
- Select the Attached library▼ dropdown menu, then Select Existing.
- Select the Attached library folder that you moved earlier, then Open.
- Close the Preferences window.