Learn how to connect your American Express Open Business card so you can download your recent transactions.
Online Banking (also known as Bank Feeds) is one of QuickBooks Online’s most helpful and time-saving features. If you connect an account, QuickBooks automatically downloads and categorizes your bank and credit card transactions for you. Then all you have to do is approve the work.
Step 1: Create an American Express account in QuickBooks
If you haven't already, create an American Express Business account on your chart of accounts:
- Go to Accounting, then select Chart of accounts.
- Select New to create an account.
- From the Account Type ▼ drop-down menu, select Credit Card.
- Give your account a name.
- When you're finished, select Save and Close.
Step 2: Connect your American Express Business account
- Go to the Banking menu or Transactions menu.
- If you're connecting an account for the first time, select Connect on the landing page. Or if you've already connected online banking accounts in the past, select Add Account.
- Search for and select American Express Business Credit Card. Then select Continue.
- In the pop-up window, sign in with your American Express user ID and password. You'll see onscreen instructions if American Express requires additional security steps.
- Select the accounts you want to connect to QuickBooks.
- For each account, select the account type from the dropdown. This is the account you created in your chart of accounts in step 1.
- Select the date range for the download.
- Select Connect.
Now that your American Express accounts are connected, QuickBooks Online will automatically download transactions so you don't have to enter them manually. You'll see them in the Banking menu or Transactions menu. Then you're ready to review, add, and match them.
Note: You can attach one American Express Business login to your QuickBooks company. But you can connect as many cards to that login as you'd like.
If you have both personal and business American Express accounts, connect them one at a time. Follow the same steps for each of your American Express accounts.