|We’ve made sick and vacation pay more reliable in QuickBooks 2019!
Find out why sick and vacation time may accrue incorrectly or does not accrue and how to fix it in your QuickBooks Desktop.
Sick/Vacation time does not accrue
Sick and vacation time may not accrue on your employee paycheck if:
- You have incorrect payroll items.
- The sick/vacation setup of the employee is incorrect.
- The Do not accrue sick/vacation pay box is checked
- Your employee has reached the maximum number of hours.
How to fix it
Determine how you set up the payroll item
- Select Lists > Payroll Item List.
- In the Payroll Item List, double-click the item used to pay sick/vacation.
- In the Edit payroll item window, verify the type of payroll item used. If it’s incorrect, use a different one or create a new payroll item.Note: Vacation only accrues on regular pay items such as hourly wages or salary, it does not accrue on bonus items or any addition items.
Check the employee profile
- Select Employees > Employee Center.
- Double-click the employee name and in the Edit Employee screen, go to the Payroll Info tab.
- Select Sick/Vacation, then verify and adjust the following data as needed:
- Sick and vacation hours available
- Hours used in the year
- Accrual period
- Hours accrued is entered
- Maximum number of hours
- Reset hours each year
- Start date of the accrual
Clear the "Do not accrue sick/vacation" checkbox
- Select Employees > Payroll Center.
- Go to the Pay Employees. tab
- Put a check mark beside the employee's name then choose choose Find Existing Paychecks.
- Select the right paycheck then Edit > Paycheck Detail.
- In the Review Paycheck window, make sure the Do not accrue sick/vac box is unchecked.
- Select Save & Next to continue creating paychecks or Save & Close.
Available Sick/Vacation Time is incorrect
How to fix it
- In QuickBooks Desktop, choose Employees > Employee Center to access your list of employees.
- Double-click the employee to open the Edit Employee window.
- Click Payroll Info tab.
- Click Sick/Vacation button.
- Correct the information in the Hours available as of [date] fields in both the Sick and Vacation sections.
- In the Sick and Vacation window, click OK.
- In the Edit Employee window, click OK.
- If necessary, repeat steps 2 through 4 for other employees.
Need more help? See how to set up and pay vacation and sick time.