Learn whether or not your state requires you to e-file a W-2 and how to file them from Quickbooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced.
With Quickbooks Payroll Enhanced, you can create your W-2s and send copy 1 to each required state agency. Many states don't offer direct website e-filing for W-2s, but we can help.
Using another payroll product?If you have a different payroll subscription with Intuit, your state W-2s are likely automatically filed with the federal W-2 filing.
|Note: Don’t know what payroll service you have? Find out which payroll service you have.|
Prepare for state W-2 filing
Before preparing your state W-2 files, there’s a few things that may save you some time.
- If you are in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Montana, North Dakota, Utah, Virginia, or Wisconsin, you can file your state and federal W-2 at the same time. For instructions on how to send your W-2s in QuickBooks, see Electronically File Federal W-2 Forms.
- Most states have changed their due dates to January 31st. Verify your state’s due date before filing the W-2 data any later.
Note: If you have QuickBooks Desktop Assisted Payroll, refer to FAQ: W-2 Form for information about how Intuit handles your W-2s.
Create a W-2 form to submit to your state
Follow these steps for creating the file you'll send to the state.
- Select Employees, then Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s, then create State W-2 E-file.
- On the Welcome window, select Continue. (Note: Verify if the Tax Year you are filing for is available.)
- On the QuickBooks Payroll state W-2 Filing window, select Continue.
- Next to Select State, choose the state from the drop-down menu. Then select Get QuickBooks Data.
- On the QuickBooks Payroll State W-2 filing - Updated window, select OK.
- Correct any errors or add missing information into the file.
- Select the Add-Ins tab to locate the QuickBooks Payroll State W-2 drop-down menu. Choose Start Interview.
- Put a check mark to I understand that I must review my data and answer the following questions. Then select Next.
- Note the file name and location. Select Next.
- Answer the questions in the interview. And verify any auto-populated information. Select Next until you reach the End of Interview
- Choose Create W-2 File.
- On the State W-2 File Created window, select OK.
- When the Save Workbook window open, select Yes to save the Excel workbook for your records.
States that require W-2 filing and instructions
Most states require that copy 1 of form W-2 be sent to the employee’s state tax agency with the annual return. Check the list of states below to see state specific W-2 and annual return filing information.
Note: An asterisk indicates that some other form, such as an annual reconciliation form, must accompany the W-2 filing.
In Enhanced Payroll, a notification to file the state W-2 copies and other annual forms will appear on your payroll “To Do list” beginning on January 1st. In some states, we'll need to provide you with signature-ready versions of the W-2s and forms for you to file manually. In a few other states, we provide a worksheet guides to use when filling out the paper forms.
If you use a basic payroll service,(no subscription) we don't provide your state W-2 copies or other forms. You should make your own arrangements to prepare and file the forms.