To change an employee's Social Security number in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted:
- Choose Employees > Employee Center.
- Double-click the employee name.
- In the Personal Info tab, change the Social Security Number of the employee.
- Click OK.
- Send a payroll or zero (blank) payroll to transmit the change to your payroll service.
If the change affects the prior year, you must request a Form W-2C.
- Choose Employees > Payroll Center.
- Click the File Forms tab > View/Print Forms & W-2s option.
- Sign in using your Payroll PIN.
- Click the W-2Cs tab at the top.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to enter the Social Security number change request.
If no W-2 was issued, or the Social Security number for one employee was the same as for another, contact Assisted Payroll Support to begin the amendment process.
If your change request also includes a name change, see Change employee payroll information, to complete the change. If you need an amendment to make a name change, you can't request it through the Payroll Tax Center, contact Assisted Payroll Support to begin the amendment process..
IMPORTANT! Don't use Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) in place of Social Security Numbers. ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. ITINs do not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system. The IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with U.S. tax laws, and provide a way to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers.
You can verify Social Security Numbers by going to the verification web site. You can also call the Social Security Administration at 800.772.6270.