You can set up single or multiple reimbursement pay type for an employee and give each a unique name. This is useful if you separately track reimbursements for different expense types such as travel and supplies.
The amounts paid as reimbursements are not subject to any taxes, and are not included on any forms.
To set up a reimbursement pay type for an employee:
Intuit Online Payroll and Intuit Full Service Payroll
- Select Employees, then select the employee's name.
- In Pay section, select Edit.
- Under What additional ways do you pay employee, select Show all pay types.
- Select Reimbursement pay type.
- If use Intuit Full Service Payroll and this option is unavailable, contact us at 866-729-4662 during these hours.
- You may enter a recurring amount in the box, or add it when creating paycheck.
- You can also rename this pay type by selecting Add/edit types > Add Reimbursement name.
- If you want to set up multiple reimbursement pay types, just select Add Reimbursement type, then enter the name of your choice and amount.
- Select OK.
QuickBooks Online Payroll and QuickBooks Online Payroll Full Service
- Select Workers from the left menu, then select Employees.
- Select the employee's name.
- Select edit (pencil) icon beside Pay.
- Under How much do you pay, select Add additional pay types.
- Select Even more ways to pay... drop-down, then select Reimbursement.
- You may enter a recurring amount in the box, or add it when you run payroll.
- You can also rename this pay type by selecting selecting the pencil icon beside Reimbursement.
- If you want to set up multiple reimbursement pay types, just select Add Reimbursement type, then enter a reimbursement name and amount.
- Select Done.
Once a reimbursement is added, you can also assign this to another employee. After assigning the reimbursement to the employee, check your accounting preference to ensure it is posted in the correct accounts for exporting purposes.