Learn how to set up a yearly salary payroll item.
You'll need a yearly salary payroll item for each type of salary you wish to list on a paycheck. Each salary item can be used for multiple employees, since specific salary amounts are entered in each employee's payroll record.
We show you how to set it up. And how to add it to the employee's setup.
Set up a yearly salary payroll item
Here's how to set up a yearly salary payroll item.
- From the QuickBooks Desktop menus, select Lists, then Payroll Item List.
- From the Payroll Item drop-down, choose New.
- Select Custom Setup. Then Next.
- Select Wage. Then Next.
- Select Annual Salary. Then Next.
- Select the type of pay. Vacation Pay and Sick Pay are each specific options. All other types of pay should be entered as Regular Pay.
- Select Next.
- Enter a name for the salary item that easily identifies it. For example, if you want to track officer wages separately from other employees, enter a name such as "Officer Salary".
- Select Next.
- Select the expense account used for tracking wages. Then select Finish.
- If necessary, repeat these steps to enter other salary items.
Add the new payroll item to the employee's setup
You can then add the new payroll item to the employee's setup so that it automatically shows when creating paychecks.
- Go to Employees on the menu bar.
- Select Employee Center.
- Double-click on the employee's name.
- Select the Payroll Info tab.
- Under the Earnings box in the item name columns, select on a blank area.
- From the drop-down arrow, select your Salary Item. Then enter the employees annual salary.
|Note If the salary amount varies from pay period to pay period, you'll need to adjust the amount on each check as you create it.|