Learn how to fix QuickBooks Desktop update errors.
The following sections provide general troubleshooting information for fixing update errors in QuickBooks Desktop. For information on specific errors, enter the error number or error message in the Search field.
If there's no specific error message, or if the error is one of the following, follow the steps below.
An incorrect system date or time on your computer can interfere with the update process.
To check the system date and time on the computer:
- Right-click the system clock on your desktop and select Adjust Date/Time.
- Select Change date and time and specify the current date and time.
- Select OK twice.
- Close and reopen QuickBooks Desktop.
- Run the update of QuickBooks Desktop again.
Your internet connection could be the source of update issues.
To test your secure Internet connection, open a web browser and visit Chase banking.
If you can't open the Chase banking page, you won't get updates from QuickBooks. Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for help.
If you can view the Chase banking web site, start QuickBooks Desktop and do the followings:
- From the Help menu, select Internet Connection Setup.
- Select Use my computer's Internet connection settings to establish a connection when this application accesses the Internet.
- Select Advanced Connection Settings.
- On the Advanced tab, select Restore Advanced Settings.
- Select Ok.
- Select Done.
- Update QuickBooks Desktop again.
Keep the following in mind:
- Download accelerators can interfere with the download process. Before downloading updates, be sure to disable your download accelerator. Contact your ISP for more information.
- If you use a dial-up connection, verify that the minimum connection speed is 28.8 kilobits per second (Kb/s).
- If you use America On line (AOL), log on to AOL with the master login name, if possible, and be sure that the Parental Controls settings are not enabled. For more information, see AOL's online support.
Internet security or firewall settings can interfere with updates.
Verify the configuration of your Internet security and personal firewall software settings.
Ports 80 and 443 must be enabled, and access must be provided to the following files:
If all these ports are used by some other processes (which is very unlikely), the QuickBooks Database server uses a fallback port, 56719.
To learn more about configuring the specific firewall ports for your version of QuickBooks Desktop, see Configure firewall security settings for QuickBooks Desktop.
|Warning Because of the complexity and number of available firewall programs, Intuit can't provide support for specific firewall issues. For help configuring your firewall, check with your system or network administrator, the vendor of your firewall software or hardware, the manufacturer's or software developer's Web site, or a local computer consultant.|
Update errors can occur if you have more than one installation of QuickBooks Desktop of the same version year installed on the same computer (for example, QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 18.0 and QuickBooks Premier 2018).
If this happens, download and install a manual update for one or more versions of QuickBooks Desktop.