Learn how you can wrap up this year’s payroll and prepare for the next with Intuit Online Payroll Enhanced.
December and January are important months for every business. Whether it’s filing your taxes or sending out your employees’ W-2s, there are several things you need to get done.
Go over these important dates and tasks as you plan your year-end payroll work. And you can use the links to get steps or more info on anything you're wondering about.
December 29, 2020
Run final payroll for 2020
- Make sure employee wages and benefits are correct.
- If you use direct deposit, send off the year's final paychecks and pay employee bonuses by 5:00 PM PST.
- Report all employee paychecks, including handwritten, commission, termination, and bonus checks.
- Add the year's final fringe benefits to paychecks.
- Add any commissions your employees earned.
- Contribute to your employee’s retirement.
Order year-end supplies
- Order W-2 perforated forms and envelopes.
- Subscribe to our labor law compliance posters. This way you know when the law changes.
Before the first payroll of 2021
Review and update employee information
- Ask employees to review and update W-4 and state withholding forms.
- Update employee information, such as employee SSNs, legal names, and addresses.
- Review and update any changes to your federal deposit and filing schedule.
- Review vacation hours, including used and unused time.
Review and update company information
- Run reports for year-end: employee details, payroll details, taxes, and wage summary.
- Update State Unemployment Insurance rates effective January 1, 2021.
Keep an eye out for federal and state tax changes
- Review and update your state unemployment insurance (SUI) rate.
- Review and update your tax deposit schedules.
January 28, 2021
E-file your payroll tax forms
- If you use our e-file service, E-file your W-2s and 1099-NEC forms by January 28, 2021 before 5:00 PM PT so they can be processed on or before February 1, 2021.
- Review and file federal forms, such as Forms 941/944 or 940.
February 1, 2021
Prepare and file payroll tax forms and payments
- If you use our e-file service, E-file your 1099-NEC on or before January 28, 2021 before 5:00 PM PT. If you don't use our e-file service, 1099-NEC forms must mailed to IRS by February 1, 2021.
- Send W-2s to your employees and 1099 forms to contractors.
- File state forms (form names and due dates vary by state).
- Invite employees to access pay stubs, W-2s and timesheets.
March 31, 2021
- If you use our e-file service, E-file your 1099-MISC by March 29, 2021 before 5:00 PM PT so they can be processed by March 31, 2021.
- If you don't use e-file, 1099-MISC forms must be mailed to IRS by March 1, 2021.