Learn how to take over billing for clients who currently pay for their own QuickBooks Online subscription, or transfer existing wholesale clients from another accounting firm.
If you have clients who pay for a QuickBooks Online subscription on their own, or clients who are still on their previous accounting firm’s wholesale discount plan, you can transfer them to your wholesale discount plan. In this article we’ll show you how.
Your firm covers the costs and billing for them from now on.
Here's how clients can put you on wholesale discount:
- Make sure you have added your Accountant user, then go to Settings ⚙.
- Select the Subscriptions & billing tab.
- Select the Allow billing transfer to your accountant? link.
Once this is done, you need to advise your accountant that they have a 48-hour window to put you on their wholesale discount plan before the permission expires.
Take over billing for a client
If you can’t move a client to wholesale discount, check the Eligible to Transfer column. These are the most frequent messages we see.
- No (permission needed) - The Primary Admin needs to grant permission to the Accountant to take over their billing.
- No (different Billing system) - A service attached to the company makes it ineligible to transfer.
- No (in progress) - Result of an incorrect address on either the client or accountant company.
If none of these apply, you may need to contact support.
Once your client has provided you with permission to add them to your wholesale billing plan, follow these steps to transfer their existing QuickBooks Online subscription to your billing plan.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Subscriptions and billing.
- Under the Client-billed subscriptions tab, find the client you want to add and follow the instructions on the screen.