Learn what to do if your client wants to become the master admin for their company file.
When a client invites you to be their accountant, or you start a company file for them, you can also become their master admin. This lets you handle admin tasks like permissions and data management for them.
If your client wants to become the master admin for their company file, you can transfer the role. Here's how to transfer master admin access back to them.
Or, learn more about user roles in QuickBooks Online.
Transfer the master admin role to your client
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online Accountant as the master admin for your client's company.
- Select the Go To QuickBooks link.
- Select and open your client's QuickBooks Online company. Tip: You can also go to the Clients menu, find your client, and select the QuickBooks icon next to their name.
When you're in your client's QuickBooks Online company:
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Manage users.
- Find your client on the list.
- Select the ▼ dropdown in the Action column and then Make master admin.
- Follow the onscreen steps to approve the transfer.
This emails your client a link. Ask them to open the link and accept the master admin role.
Transfer the master admin role to another accountant on your team
Need to transfer the master admin role for a client's company to another accountant on your team? No problem. Follow these steps to give another user the master admin role.