When generating a report, you may see a message at the bottom of your screen that says the following: Report too large to display.
This happens when a report exceeds the size limits applied to reports generated within the program.
What are the size limits when exporting a report to Excel?
The following are the size limits for columns, cells, and data:
- Columns: maximum of 1024 columns displayed. (It's unlikely that you'll exceed this limit because it's based on the Excel column limitation.)
- Cells: maximum of 400K cells with data. (Cells are defined as data that shows up on an individual cell once exported to Excel. Only cells that have data in them count toward the limit.)
- Data: maximum of 10MB worth of data.
How do I fix a report that is too large to display?
There are 4 steps that can help you fix a report that is too large to display.
|Note: In between Steps 2 and 3 you may want to remove columns. Check out How to remove columns below the four steps.|
- If you're looking at a report displayed on QuickBooks Online, you can double the amount displayed by simply exporting the report to Excel.
- Since the limit is based on the raw amount of data displayed, you can potentially get more data into a report by eliminating columns you don't need to be displayed. (Note: See how to remove columns below).
- Select Run report.
- Segment the report by generating reports with intermediate date ranges. This could work for transaction detail reports that aren't grouped or grouped by some date designation (day, week, month).
To remove columns:
- Open the report you would like to edit.
- Select Customise at the top of the report.
- Select Rows/Columns, then choose Change Columns.
- Put a check mark on your selected columns, uncheck to remove the others.
That's it. You now know how to fix a report that is too large to display.