Learn how to transfer the master admin user in your account.
The master admin is the main user who has access to every part of the QuickBooks account. This user type has the highest level permissions. They can manage all users and other admin tasks. By default, the master admin is the person who set up the account.
If you need to change the master admin, here’s how to transfer this role to another QuickBooks user.
Note: If you’re using QuickBooks Online Simple Start, contact us to transfer the master admin.
Assign the new master admin
You can transfer the master admin role to an existing QuickBooks user. Or, if the person isn’t a QuickBooks user yet, you can add them as a new user. Then, transfer the master admin role to them after they’re added.
You must be able to sign in as the master admin to transfer the master admin role. If the current master admin is no longer with the company, you can request to be the master admin. Here’s how to transfer the role to an existing user.
Note: If you’re an accountant, you must be the master admin of your firm to change the master admin role in a client’s account.
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online as the current master admin. If you can’t sign in, you can recover your user ID or password.
- Select Settings ⚙.
- Select Manage users.
- Find the user you want to make the master admin.
- In the Role column, make sure they are listed as Admin. If they’re not, select Edit to change their role to admin.
- Select the small arrow ▼ in the Action section. Then, select Make master admin.
- For security, we send a verification code to the phone number or email on file for your account. When you receive the verification code, enter it and select Continue.
- Select Make master admin again to confirm the change.
- Sign out of QuickBooks.
When the user gets the invitation email, ask them to select the link and accept the invitation to be the master admin.