Learn how to add, manage, or delete user profiles.
Add users to help with company operations and bookkeeping. You can customise each role and give individual permissions for specific tasks. You can also give your accountant access to your company’s books.
Your subscription level determines how many users you can add. Certain roles don't count toward your user limit, like Reports or Time tracking only.
Note: Only users with the right permissions can manage user profiles in QuickBooks Online. If you need to, here's how to change the primary admin for your company.
Add a new user
When you add a user, your subscription level determines how many users you can add. Certain roles don't count toward your user limit, like Reports or Time tracking only.
- Select Settings ⚙, then select Manage users.
- Select Add user, then enter the user’s name and email address.
- Select the Roles ▼ dropdown, then select the role you want to assign to the user.
- Review the features this role gives access to. You can expand each section.
- Select the Account management settings you want to manage (if applicable for the chosen role).
Note: If you select View all permissions, you’ll be able to review the list of features the user will not have access to.
- Select Send invitation.
New users receive an invite to join the company. Ask them to select the link in the email. They can create a new Intuit Account, or sign in if they already have one.
Seeing a user limit?
If you see a user limit message, it’s because QuickBooks Online has a maximum number of users depending on your subscription. Learn more about usage limits in QuickBooks Online.
Manage user roles or permissions
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Manage users.
- Find the user you want to edit, then select Edit in the Action column.
- You can change the user role from the Roles ▼ dropdown.
- Select the user settings you want to manage, if applicable.
- Select Save.
- Ask the user to sign out and sign in again to QuickBooks Online to see the updates.
Delete a user
When you delete a user, it’s permanent, but you can still view their history in the audit log.
- Go to Settings ⚙, then select Manage users.
- Select the ellipsis icon on the user you want to delete, then select Delete.
- Select Delete user from the pop-up window to confirm.
Frequently asked questions about adding, deleting, and changing user access.