Learn how to set up a budget for your employee roster in QuickBooks Online Advanced Payroll.
How to create a budget
- Navigate to the Rostering screen by selecting Employees, then the Manage Employees dropdown and selecting Rostering.
- Select the Roster actions button on the top left of the screen and select Budget, which will open up the Budgets panel on the right.
- Select the Edit Budget tab, then enter the location you want your budget to apply to.
- Select whether you want the location to set its own budget, or share the budget with its sub-locations.
- If you select the "Location shares budget across sub-locations" option, you will not be able to set individual budgets for sub locations.
- Set the week you want the budget to apply to, then you can set your budget and sales figures for each day in the specified period.
- Select Save once done.
Based on these values, you will notice in the roster that orange means "the shifts have exceeded the budget warning level", and red means "over budget" (provided that you have ticked show costs from the left panel on the Rostering screen).
Note: The budget warning level can be set within the Rostering option from the Payroll Settings menu. Here’s more information on how to set it up: Manage Rostering Settings.
Additional budget settings
Select the dropdown arrow icon next to the Select a week field for the following budget settings:
- Clear budgets - this will clear the budget values for the current period.
- Copy budgets from last week / fortnight - this will copy the budget values from the previous week / fortnight.