Learn how to transfer or change who manages your books in QuickBooks Online.
With QuickBooks Online, you can add different types of users. But there’s always just one master admin who can manage all other users. So if someone new needs to manage your company in QuickBooks, here’s how to transfer the master admin role to them.
|If you’re using QuickBooks Online Simple Start, contact us to transfer the master admin.|
Step 1: Sign in as the master admin
Sign in to QuickBooks Online as the current master admin.
|Are you paying for additional employees?
If you're paying for additional employees outside the standard QuickBooks Online subscription, you need to update the credit card details in the Employee section before transferring the master admin role to another user.
In case you don’t have access to a replacement credit card, contact us so we can help you remove existing credit card details to avoid any additional charges.
Can’t sign in?
Select I forgot my user ID or password at the bottom of the sign in page.
Or, if the person who has the master admin account is no longer available, contact us so we can help you.
Step 2: Invite or choose the new master admin
You can invite a new user or choose an existing one to become the master admin.
- Go to Settings ⚙, select Manage Users.
- Select the Add user button.
- Select Company admin as the user type.
- Select Next.
- Enter the new user's info, then select Save.
- Your new user will get an email from email@example.com inviting them to your business. They need to select the “Let’s go!” link and sign in.
- To complete the process, follow the steps below to choose an existing user as your new master admin.
Seeing a user limit?
If you see a user limit message, it’s because QuickBooks Online has a maximum number of users depending on your subscription. Learn more about limits and what you can do to add a user.
Follow these steps if you have an active user you want to be the master admin.
- Go to Settings ⚙, select Manage Users. If you don’t see this option, you’re not signed in with the master admin account (which you need to be).
- In the User Type column, check if the user you want is listed as “Admin.” If they’re not, select Edit ✏️ to change them to an admin.
- Select the small arrow in the Action column to the right of the user. Then, select Make master admin.
The user you just invited to be the master admin will get an email. Once they select the link in it to accept being the master admin, you’re done. Just be sure to sign out of the previous master admin account to make it official.