Learn how to add or remove clients from wholesale billing in QuickBooks Online Accountant.
Need help managing your clients? We can help you add, remove, and transfer clients in and out of wholesale billing. Here's how.
Add clients to wholesale billing
You can only add the wholesale billing discount for new QuickBooks Online subscriptions during the client setup. For more details, see Add a client who doesn't have QuickBooks Online.
If your client already has a subscription, see the Take over a client's direct billing section below.
Remove clients from wholesale billing
When you remove a client from wholesale billing, they get charged instead of your firm. They also lose any discount that your firm received which results in them getting billed at the regular rate. This doesn't affect your access to their company in any way.
- Go to Settings ⚙️and select Subscriptions & Billing.
- Select any clients you want to remove. If any say Inactive, you need to make them active before you continue.
- From the Batch Actions ▼drop-down menu, select Transfer billing to client.
- Select Remove.
Take over a client’s direct billing
Make sure the client is part of your firm, then follow these steps to add existing clients to your subscriptions.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Subscriptions and billing.
- Select Add existing clients, then check if your client is eligible to add.
- Select your client’s checkbox, then Add clients. If this option is greyed out, go to their company and enter their billing info first.
- In the confirmation window, select Continue.
Transfer wholesale billing between firms
If your client’s subscription is receiving a wholesale billing discount from a different firm, they can still get yours once their old firm removes them. Make sure you complete the transfer within 60 days from the time they got removed to be eligible for the discount.
Step 1: Remove client from previous firm’s wholesale billing
If your client’s subscription is still part of the other firm’s wholesale billing, have your client’s old firm remove them from wholesale billing. If they’re no longer part of the old firm, proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Add client to your firm
Have your client invite you as an accountant, then accept their invitation. For more details, see Add a client with an existing QuickBooks Online subscription.
Step 3: Move a client’s subscription to your wholesale billing
After adding the client to your firm, follow the steps in the Take over a client’s direct billing section. Then wait for the pricing to update (it usually takes a week for it to change).