Learn how to prepare and lodge your BAS or IAS in QuickBooks Online.
Before you start, we recommend that you perform pre-BAS checks before beginning any lodgement to ensure data accuracy.
- From the left menu, select GST, then choose Get Started or Prepare BAS.
- QuickBooks will display the total sales (including GST), total purchases, GST collected on sales, and GST paid on purchases based of transactions in QuickBooks. If all looks well, select Next.
- If you've enabled PAYG Withholding in QuickBooks, review your total salaries paid and total tax withheld figures. Then, select Next.
- If you've enabled PAYG Instalments in QuickBooks, enter your Income Tax instalment amount. Then, select Next.
- If you've enabled FBT, Luxury car tax, Fuel tax credits or Wine equalisation tax in QuickBooks, enter the amount due. Then, select Next.
- After reviewing the complete activity statement, select Mark as lodged to close the tax period in QuickBooks.
After the lodgement, lodge your BAS directly with the ATO (if not lodging electronically from QuickBooks). You will still need to make a BAS payment if you have an amount owing.
Once you've made the payment, record it in QuickBooks by following this article.
Monthly IAS can be completed using the same method as preparing your BAS.
For example, if you need to catch up on Q4 BAS (April to June), and report monthly PAYGW and quarterly GST, the GST centre will show the April period as outstanding, with Prepare IAS as the button.
After you lodge April IAS, the GST centre will then show the May period outstanding and Prepare IAS as the button.
After you lodge May IAS, QuickBooks will now show April through June as the period outstanding and Prepare BAS as the button.
The BAS lodgement will include GST obligations for the full quarter, but only PAYGW obligations for June. Once you lodge your quarterly BAS, the GST centre will then show Prepare IAS for the month of July and so on.
If you've lodged your BAS but need to make changes to transactions in the lodged period afterwards, you can request to unlodge your BAS by contacting support.