Learn how to run payroll in your QuickBooks Online Payroll.
This article is for anyone that has completed the company and employee setup of their payroll account.
If you still need to set up your payroll, see
- Payroll set up checklist
- Payroll set up: Turn on payroll
- Payroll set up: Pay Schedules
- Payroll set up: Verify general tax information for your business
- Payroll set up: Company payroll tax information
- Video: Set up payroll Set up payroll
Congratulations on getting your payroll setup. Now comes the fun part: paying employees! The following steps are the same for both paper cheques and direct deposit.
- Go to Employees or Payroll menu, then select Run payroll.
- Select a pay schedule, then Continue.
- Select the employees you want to pay.
- Verify if you have selected the correct bank account, pay period, and pay date. You can also modify them as needed.
- Change employee's pay method as needed.
- Enter hours worked if applicable. TIP: you can hide or show pay types by selecting the Settings ⚙ icon below the TOTAL PAY.
- Select Preview Payroll.
- To edit or preview a specific cheque, select the Edit ✏️ icon next to the cheque's net pay, then select OK when done.
- When you're ready, select Submit payroll.
- You're all set! To print paycheques, select Print paycheques, then Finish payroll.