Before performing these steps to set up QuickBooks Time Kiosk on iOS, please see: How to Get Started with the QuickBooks Time Clock Kiosk.
Step 1: Install the Kiosk feature in QuickBooks Time and get the device authorization code
- On a computer, in QuickBooks Time, go to Feature Add-ons, then select Manage Add-ons.
- Scroll down to Kiosk, and select Install.
- Select Add Device, then Other device, the authorization code displays.
Step 2: Install the QuickBooks Time Kiosk app
QuickBooks Time Kiosk prevents navigation to other web pages by hiding the URL bar.
- On the iPad, go to QuickBooks Time Kiosk on App Store, and tap Install. You may be prompted to enter your Apple ID.
- Open QuickBooks Time Kiosk.
- Enter your company's QuickBooks Time web address OR company identifier, and select Next.
- Find your web address or company identifier in Company Settings > Company Details > Company Info > look for Company Website or Company Identifier.
- Enter the device authorization code you got in Step 1 above.
- Tap Authorize. Kiosk launches.
Step 3: Set Kiosk preferences
Back on your desktop, select Done on the authorization code window. Under Kiosk name, select the authorization code to open the kiosk preferences. The following steps are all optional:
- Under Kiosk Name, type a new name.
- To limit which users can clock in/out on this kiosk, under Team Members, select all team members and make your selections.
- Under Require Photo on Clock in/out, select Yes or No to enable or disable photo capture.
- Under Device Language, select English or any preferred language.
- The language selected will be the default for that device. A team member can individually choose English or any preferred language while they use the device, until the session times out.
- Under Record Location, select Yes or No to enable or disable location tracking for that kiosk device. Depending on the device, when you first launch the kiosk with this requirement, the app will ask to use your device’s location. If you accidentally disable location for the device, go into your device's location settings to reenable it.
- Under Team Member List, select Show or Hide. Selecting Hide conceals the team member list, but team members can still find their name by entering it in the search field.
- Under Team Member Working Status, select Show or Hide. This setting allows QuickBooks Time to display or hide a coloured dot next to the team members' profile pictures. Green = clocked in; Orange = on a break; No dot = off the clock.
Step 4: Limit device use to Time Clock Kiosk
This step prevents team members from navigating to apps other than Time Clock Kiosk.
- We recommend that you use Guided Access Mode to limit the device's use to Time Clock Kiosk.
- Third-party device management software has been shown to cause problems with Time Clock Kiosk.
- We recommend that you do not turn on your device's parental controls (Settings > General > Restrictions).
Set up guided access
- Make sure the iPad is connected to the internet.
- On the iPad, go to Settings > General > Display and Brightness >Auto-Lock, and set it to Never.
- Go to Settings > General > Accessibility, and make sure Guided Access is toggled on.
- Tap Passcode Settings, then Set Guided Access Passcode, and enter a passcode twice.
Enable for time clock kiosk
- On your iOS device, go to Settings, then select General.
- Find Guided Access, and turn it on.
- With the Time Clock Kiosk app open, quickly triple-tap the Home button.
- At the top right, tap Start.
To exit guided access
- Quickly triple-click the Home button.
- Enter the Guided Access passcode.
Step 5: Set team member PINs
Setting team member PINs
A team member needs to be enabled before they show up on the Kiosk list. Upon first login, they will pick their name from the list displayed on the kiosk. They will be prompted to set a PIN.
If you want to set their PINs, in My Team, select their name to open their details. In the PIN box, enter a four-digit number, and select Save.
If a team member forgets their PIN
If the team member has a phone number on file, they can choose Text Me a Code. This provides a temporary PIN and then walks them through setting up a new PIN.
Or, they can use the QuickBooks Time password option if they have been set up with a password and know it.
Finally, you may want to distribute to team members or post near the device: How to clock in and out via Time Clock Kiosk.