Though we do not currently have Desktop QuickBooks software in Canada that will run on the Mac operating system, we do provide an online solution for Mac users. You can visit our QuickBooks Online accounting software site to try it for free.
Using a Windows version of QuickBooks Desktop on a Mac
You can install and run Windows using the built-in Boot Camp utility available on all new Macs. You'll need to boot up your Mac into Windows® each time you want to run QuickBooks Desktop.
Alternatively, you can install software that will let you run Windows while still running your Mac operating system.
Two options are:
- Parallels Desktop® - Download the free trial version.
- VMware Fusion® - Download the free trial version.
Important: You will be required to purchase and install the full version of Windows® no matter which option you select (Boot Camp, Parallels or VMware).
Intuit support provided when using QuickBooks Desktop for Windows on a Mac
If you have QuickBooks Desktop running on your Mac and need help in how-to questions related to QuickBooks Desktop only, we are here to help. QuickBooks Desktop technical support representatives will be able to assist if the application is stable on your Mac and your question is not related to issues that result from running QuickBooks Desktop on these 3rd party solutions.
Examples of questions beyond our scope of support are (but not limited to):
- How to install QuickBooks Desktop on a Mac
- Troubleshooting of QuickBooks Desktop install errors in a Mac
- Troubleshooting of performance issues in a Mac
- Troubleshooting of network timeouts or multi-user problems in a Mac
- Troubleshooting of issues related to printing or interfacing with external hardware devices
Using the US version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac in Canada
If you have a Canadian business, we highly recommend staying with a Canadian accounting solution. The US product is created for American businesses.
If you are using a US software, but operating in Canada, you'll encounter the following issues:
- Unable to enter postal codes
- Unable to enter provinces in addresses
- Unable to calculate Canadian payroll taxes
- No provincial tax model
- Unable do online banking with Canadian financial institutions
- Unable to handle Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) remittances