Learn what to do if you lost or forgot your password for QuickBooks Desktop.
Follow the steps below depending on the type of password you need to reset:
- Reset a user password: If you enter a username when you sign in and you know the admin password, follow these steps to reset the user password.
- Reset the admin password: If you don’t need to enter a username at sign in or your username is admin, follow these steps to reset the admin password.
Reset a user password
- Open QuickBooks.
- Sign in as the admin user.
- Go to Company, select Set Up Users and Passwords.
- Select Set Up Users. Then enter the admin password again.
- In the User List, select the user that needs to change their password. Then select Edit User.
- Enter a new password.
- Select a challenge question and answer.
- Select Next, then select Finish.
Reset the admin password
You'll need to confirm some info as a security step. If you don’t remember the info, we’ll show you how to find it.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop. From the login window, select I forgot my password.
- Fill out the info on the form.
Note: You can find all this info when you sign in to your Customer Account Management Portal (CAMPS). If you have trouble with the sign in, you can reset your CAMPS password.
- Select OK. If your info is correct, you’ll get a code to the primary email in your CAMPS. Emails from us can show up in your spam folders. Check your spam and junk folders if you don't see your code in your inbox.
- QuickBooks will then guide you through creating a new admin password.