Students claiming tuition fees must complete Schedule 11 in Pro Tax. Generally, a course taken in 2019 at an institution in Canada will qualify for a tuition tax credit, if it was either:
- Taken at a post-secondary education institution, or
- For individuals 16 years of age or older at the end of the year, develops or improves skills in an occupation and the educational institution has been certified by the Minister of Employment and Social Development Canada
Even if someone else paid the tuition fees, a student must claim these amounts to reduce tax payable to zero before transferring any unused balance.
Students receive an official tax receipt called the T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate from their educational institution that indicates the amount of eligible tuition fees that paid for that calendar year.
The T2202 must be entered in Pro Tax and the program calculates the amounts to be claimed and carried forward.
- Open the return in Pro Tax.
- Click Add New Form at the bottom of the left-side menu bar. The search window displays.
- Enter the term “T2202” or “tuition” in the search field; “T2202/TL11 - Tuition and education credit certificate” displays in the search results.
- Click the Add button next to “T2202/TL11 - Tuition and education credit certificate”.
- Select T2202/TL11 from the left-side menu.
- Click Edit form.
- Enter the information from the T2202 you received from your educational institution.
Entering multiple tuitions
If you have received multiple T2202 forms you can click Add new to add the additional information.