Any tuition credit remaining for the year can be transferred to a parent, grandparent, spouse, or common-law partner.
The dependent form is used to transfer tuition from a dependent.
- Open the return in Pro Tax.
- Click to the Dependent form on the left-side menu bar.
- Click Edit form to edit the existing form, or click Add new to add a new dependent.
- Identify the Transfers from dependants section.
- Enter the amounts related to tuition fees from the dependent’s T2202.
- Verify that the amounts flow to Line 32400 of the T1 return.
Note: the student cannot transfer any amount they carried forward in a previous year. The maximum amount they are allowed to transfer is $5,000 less the amount they needed to use to reduce their own tax owing.
Be sure to complete the provincial and territorial tax and credits form for your province or territory of residence.