It's your responsibility to make sure that sufficient funds are available in your bank account when your payroll taxes are due. We do not set up a tax impound account on your behalf with the required amounts on reserve for tax payments.
On the Pay Taxes page, we remind you when tax payments are due and how much you owe.
To make a tax payment:
- Go to Taxes and select Payroll tax (Take me there).
- Select Pay Taxes. QuickBooks Payroll displays a table with your current unpaid tax balances. It also warns you which balances are due.
- For the tax you want to pay, select Record Payment.
- Choose a payment date.You can indicate the Cheque Number and add Notes if you like.
- Earliest means the next available payment date. Tax payments take two business days to process, so the next available payment date is two business days from the date you approve this tax payment.
- Other allows you to specify a date in the future to make the payment. The date must be at least two business days from today’s date.
- Latest means that we'll process the payment to deposit on the actual due date for the tax payment.
- When you're ready, select Approve and print.
- To verify your tax payment has been recorded in QuickBooks Online:
- Go to Business overview and select Reports (Take me there).
- Enter Payroll Withholding Amount Payments in the search bar.
Depending on the size of your business (and other factors), you may need to pay your payroll tax electronically. For details, contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or your accountant.