In this article, you'll learn how to:
If you've exported your hours from QuickBooks Time to QuickBooks Desktop and the hours aren't displaying correctly when you run payroll, this is most likely because the payroll detail needs to be refreshed. First, check the sync log in QuickBooks Time for errors, then look for the timesheets in the Weekly Timesheets in QuickBooks Desktop.
Find your hours
QuickBooks Time exports hours to the QuickBooks Desktop Weekly Timesheet, not to the payroll details field. To make sure that the employee hours were exported, in QuickBooks Desktop, go to Employees > Enter Time > Use Weekly Timesheet.
If you see the hours listed in the Weekly Timesheet, perfect! Run payroll as normal and the hours should appear. If they are still not in payroll, check your employee settings in QuickBooks Desktop.
Check employee settings
If the hours are listed in the Weekly Timesheet and you've run payroll but the hours don't display in the payroll fields, make sure that the employee settings are configured to use timesheet data to calculate paycheque totals.
- In QuickBooks Desktop, go to the Employee Centre.
- Select the edit icon corresponding to one of the employees.
- Select the Payroll Info tab.
- Below the Earnings box, make sure that the Use Time Data to Create Paycheques box is checked.
- Make sure the employee is assigned to the payroll schedule that you are running payroll for.
- Select Save.
Note: If hours were exported prior to this setting being selected, those hours won’t be transferred from the Weekly Timesheet to payroll because no payroll items are associated with them. Either manually add the hours in payroll this time round, or contact QuickBooks Time Support team for help with re-exporting the hours.
Note: If employees may be paid overtime or double time, make sure the employees are assigned the appropriate payroll items in QuickBooks Desktop. Then, in QuickBooks Time, enable overtime tracking (Company Settings > Payroll & Overtime > Overtime). Lastly, ensure those payroll items are mapped.
Finish running payroll
Review the hours for accuracy. If the hours are not displayed:
- Continue to run scheduled or unscheduled payroll.
- Review the paycheque detail for each employee, one at a time.
- In the paycheque detail window, use the calendar icons in the top right corner to adjust the date range to any other date range.
- To allow QuickBooks Desktop to register the date change, select another field in the paycheque window or press the tab key.
- In the pop-up window that asks you if you would like to utilize the timesheet data recorded for those employees, select Yes.
- Use the calendar icons to adjust the date range to the correct pay period.
- Again, to allow QuickBooks Desktop to register the date change, select anywhere else in the paycheque window.
- In the pop-up window asking if you would like to utilize the timesheet data, select Yes. This will recalculate the paycheque totals based on the hours recorded in the Weekly Timesheet.
- Save, and repeat this process for each paycheque.