Learn what to do if you lost or forgot your password for QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
If you don’t have your password, don’t worry. Here’s how to get back into your company file.
Step 1: Determine the type of password you need to reset
You can reset your Admin password or a user password.
You need to reset the admin password if:
- You don’t have to enter a user name. When you sign in, you only enter a password.
- Your User Name is “Admin” or you have another user with the admin role.
If you’re not an admin user, your QuickBooks admin can reset your password for you. Contact your admin and have them follow the steps in the "Reset a user password" section below.
Step 2: Follow steps for your password type
Once you know what type of password you need to reset, follow the steps.
Note: If you’re upgrading to QuickBooks Desktop 2020, make sure to reset your password in your earlier version of QuickBooks first.
Reset the admin password
If you know your admin password and want to change it, learn how to change your user password in the "Reset a user password" section.
If you need to reset your admin password because you don't remember it, you'll need to confirm some info as a security step. If you don’t remember the info, we’ll show you how to find it.
For QuickBooks 2020:
- On the Company Login window, select I forgot my password.
- Select an email from the dropdown list, then Next. We'll email a token to reset your password. Note: If you don’t see your email address, select Don’t see your email in the list above? and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Enter the token from your email.
Emails from us can show up in your spam folders. Check your spam and junk folders if you don't see your code in your inbox.
Reset a user password
- Sign in as the admin user.
- Go to Company, select Set Up Users and Passwords. Then select Set Up Users.
- If prompted, enter the admin password again.
- In the User List, select the user that needs to change their password. Then select Edit User.
- Enter a new password.
- Select Next twice, then select Finish.