Note: There is a change to your QuickBooks Payroll experience. Click here to learn about the change and it's timing.
Before you run payroll (and even before you add your first employee) it’s helpful to establish the frequency of your pay runs for employees. You may have different pay periods for different employees:
1. Go to Settings ⚙, then Payroll Settings.
2. Select Pay Schedules.
3. From the Pay Schedules section, select Create.
4. Select when you're going to pay your employees and select the appropriate option from the Pay Period drop-down menu. Your options are:
- Every Month (12 times a year)
- Twice A Month (24 times a year)
- Every Other Week (26 times a year)
- Every Week (52 times a year)
5. Enter the Starting date and Ending date for each pay period. This determines the days that are included in the pay period, which is especially important for calculating overtime, vacation, sick pay, and other exception pay types.
6. Click OK.
The Pay Schedule Confirmation screen opens to display the pay dates for the next four pay periods based on the information you entered.
7. If everything looks correct, click OK to save the Pay Schedule or select Back to return to the previous window and make changes.
Note: If you mark the Use this schedule as the default for employees I add field, that pay schedule will automatically be assigned to all new employees that you add. You'll be able to change the pay period for each employee in the employee window.
8. Once you click OK, the new pay schedule Is listed under Pay Schedules in the Edit Pay Policies screen.
9. Repeat these steps for each pay schedule you want to set up.
Note: you can set up pay schedules before you add employees, or you can set them up when you add employees.
For more details, watch out our video on setting up payroll.